POLK COUNTY, Fla. — The Polk County Sheriff's Office is mourning the loss of one of its retired K-9 deputies.
K-9 Kony died recently at 12 years old, according to the sheriff's office. The four-legged former deputy courageously served Polk County from 2011-2017.
"Yesterday we said goodbye to retired K-9 Kony," the sheriff's office wrote, in part.
The sheriff's office said Kony crossed the "Rainbow Bridge" as both a retired law enforcement dog and a beloved pet to the Hill family.
- ‘We’re in a plateau’: Scientists warn Florida's COVID-19 cases could increase again soon as data levels out
- Gov. DeSantis lowering vaccine eligibility age to 40 starting Monday, 18 starting April 5
- 2 teens rescued after drifting more than a mile off Florida's coast
- School board fires Florida teacher for medical marijuana use
- Sea turtles may lose protection after end to dredging limits
- Tornado outbreak strikes Alabama, Georgia; at least 5 dead
- Rays 101: Your ultimate guide to jumping on the bandwagon this season
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter