The summer months are here and so is entertaining! The Bitter Socialite Trace Barnett shared a Summer Squash Casserole on 'Atlanta & Company' to get us in the sweet summer spirit.
Summer Squash Casserole
This is my absolute favorite recipe for squash casserole. It’s so perfect for using up the bounty of fresh summer squash that my garden provides. Combined with mayonnaise, sour cream, saltine crackers, and lots of cheese, it’s about as Southern as it gets!
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruye`re
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- Dash of hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add squash and onions. Cook until squash is tender and onions are translucent, about 8–10 minutes.
3. Transfer squash to a large bowl and combine with mayonnaise, sour cream, eggs, cheeses, and hot sauce. Stir well to combine. Add salt, pepper, and parsley; stir. Pour into a well-greased 2-quart baking dish.
4. In a small bowl, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Crush the sleeve of crackers and pour into the melted butter. Add in thyme; stir well to combine. Sprinkle cracker mixture over casserole. Bake for 20–25 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.