Breaking News
More () »

Hundreds honor slain Locust Grove police officer Saturday night

Chase Maddox was killed Friday while serving a warrant with two other Henry County deputies.

LOCUST GROVE, Ga. - Hundreds of people came together Saturday night to honor Chase Maddox, the 26-year-old Locust Grove police officer who was slain Friday.

Maddox, who was about to become a father for the second time, was shot three times during a deadly encounter, with the fatal wound being to the head.

Maddox's autopsy, along with the gunman's, Tierre Guthrie, were released Saturday by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Preliminary results indicate Guthrie was shot four times, with two of those wounds to his chest.

Henry County deputies Michael D. Corley and Ralph Sidwell Callaway were serving a bench warrant on Guthrie, 39, for failure to appear in Locust Grove municipal court.

"It became apparent that the suspect was not going to go with police, which is why a Locust Grove officer was called in to assist," said Henry County Sheriff Kenneth McBrayer.

The deputies called for backup and Maddox responded to the scene. Both Corley and Callaway were shot.

Maddox was a five-year veteran of the Locust Grove police department after serving in the National Guard.

PHOTOS: Memorial for slain Locust Grove officer

Maddox's body was escorted back to Locust Grove after GBI crime lab officials performed an autopsy at their Decatur headquarters.

RELATED | Identity of Locust Grove officer's suspected killer released

Maddox and his wife were the parents of one child and were expecting another. (A GoFundme account has been created for Maddox's family. Click here for more.)

RELATED: 3 officers shot in Henry County: What we know now

An altercation occurred and Guthrie fired shots through the door, authorities said.

Guthrie was shot and killed by police on the scene, which was inside a home on St. Francis Court near the Tanger Outlet.

RELATED | Slain police officer was about to become a father for the second time

The deputies were taken to Atlanta Medical Center. According to his brother Wade Corley, Michael Corley was released late Friday afternoon.

PHOTOS: One officer dead, two others shot in Locust Grove

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out