DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — A woman was shot and killed and an officer is recovering after also being shot multiple times in DeKalb County.
Police are on the hunt for a suspect they say is armed and dangerous.
Here’s what we know:
- The suspect’s identity and photo have been released: Police say they are searching for 27-year-old Otis Walker.
- One person is dead: Police said they found a woman, believed to be Walker’s girlfriend, shot and in critical condition at the scene. They say she died as she was being loaded into an ambulance. She has not been identified.
- The officer is expected to be OK: Police identified the officer Thursday afternoon as Derek Nunn, a 3-year veteran of the force. They said he had been transported to a local hospital after being shot multiple times and was expected to fully recover after being treated for his injuries.
- Police responded to a domestic disturbance call: They said they were called to a situation after midnight Thursday morning where a “domestic dispute between the boyfriend and girlfriend at the location escalated to the boyfriend shooting the female victim.”
- They were shot at as soon as they got there: Police said "officers were immediately fired upon" by Walker as they arrived at the scene, and that the gunfire came from him as he hid between two residences.
- They believe Walker is still in the area: Police said they have established a search perimeter in the area around the shooting and believe he is still within it, possibly on foot.
- Walker has a prior aggravated assault charge: He was arrested on an aggravated assault charge in DeKalb County in 2015, according to records.
- There is a reward for his capture: DeKalb Police tweeted that Crime Stoppers Atlanta is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest. You can call 404-577-TIPS (8477).
- Police have released two photos of Walker: See the images below.
Photos from the scene:
Photos: DeKalb County police officer shot
OTHER CRIME STORIES: