Heavy post-eclipse traffic is facing travelers on highways across the nation. A look at Google Maps on Monday afternoon shows that traffic along the eclipse's path is extremely heavy across the nation.
In north Georgia, traffic along Interstate 85 and 985 is extremely heavy as travelers make their way back to metro Atlanta from South Carolina and the north Georgia mountains. Additional areas of heavy traffic can be found on Interstate 75 coming southward from Chattanooga as well as along Georgia 400 and Georgia 5 as they come southward.
For a complete look at traffic in north Georgia as well as a look at traffic times, please visit the 11Alive traffic page at 11Alive.com/traffic.
Below is a map showing heavy post-eclipse traffic areas. Circled areas are all pockets of heavy congestion along the solar eclipse's path across the nation.
In other areas of the nation, these areas had extremely heavy eclipse-related traffic as of 4:30 pm ET, as noted in the larger map (moving from west to east):
- Interstate 5 on the Pacific Coast from south of Portland, OR, through the Salem area to Eugene.
- Interstate 84 in the Baker City, OR and Boise, ID areas.
- Interstate 15 between Pocatello and Idaho Falls, ID.
- Interstate 25 from Douglas, WY southward through Cheyenne, and then into Colorado through the Loveland area.
- Interstate 80 from Aurora, NE to Omaha.
- Interstate 29 from St. Joseph, MO to Kansas City
- Interstate 25 from Bethany, MO to Kansas City
- Most of the interstates in and around Kansas City are experiencing gridlock, partially due to eclipse traffic, but also due to extended construction.
- Interstate 70 from Independence, MO to Wentzville, MO
- Interstate 44 from Rolla, MO to St. Louis.
- Interstate 55 from Livingston, IL to East St. Louis
- Interstate 57 from Mt. Vernon, IL to Marion & Carbondale, IL
- Interstate 69 from Madisonville, KY to Princeton, KY
- US 41 from Madisonville, KY to Hopkinsville, KY
- Interstate 65 from Elizabethtown, KY to Nashville
- Interstate 40 from Crossville, TN to Knoxville
- Interstate 75 from Chattanooga to Knoxville
- Interstate 85 from Jefferson, GA to Gaffney, SC
- Interstate 77 from Richburg, SC to Columbia, SC
- Interstate 95 from Florence SC to Savannah, GA
These are only rough estimates of backups -- additional traffic backups may occur in metropolitan areas in and near the eclipse path throughout the remainder of the day. Again, for a complete look at traffic in metro Atlanta, please visit our traffic page at 11Alive.com/traffic.