ATLANTA — Fire officials say 16 children and three adults are being treated after exposure to carbon monoxide at a day care center.
Atlanta Fire Department spokesman Sgt. Cortez Stafford says the carbon monoxide levels were "very high" at the G.A.T.E.S. Children & Adolescent Academy off Hapeville Road in southwest Atlanta when they got the call at 3:06 p.m. on Monday.
One child was suffering a seizure when firefighters arrived and six or seven others were experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, Stafford said. Those symptoms included headaches, vomiting and nausea.
Stafford said they believe the gas came from a furnace, however, they are trying to determine what caused the gas to leak.
Return to 11Alive.com for updates on this developing story.