ATLANTA — It is undoubtedly a difficult year to commemorate Memorial Day - the customary gatherings in solemn remembrance of those who gave their lives in service are, largely, not possible due to the coronavirus pandemic.
That includes the tough decision to cancel the annual observances at Marietta National Military Cemetery and the Georgia National Cemetery in Canton.
But some form of recognition will nonetheless be made, and communities around Atlanta are arranging for collective memorials in virtual spaces.
This is by no means a comprehensive list, just a selection of some in the metro area. If you would like to tell us about any more of have one included, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park "virtual camp out": This is part of a string of online Memorial Day events being arranged by the National Park Service, at several sites around the country. This begins this evening (May 23) on the Kennesaw Battlefield Facebook page at 5 p.m. Additionally, Kennesaw Battlefield is among 25 sites together hosting on Facebook a National Park Service virtual Memorial Day commemoration.
- Gwinnett County virtual ceremony: 11Alive's Brittany Kleinpeter reported earlier this week that the county government will hold a virtual ceremony. The featured keynote speaker will be Retired Marine Col. Parker Miller, a Vietnam veteran, among other commemorations. It can be viewed online beginning at 1 p.m. at TVgwinnettlive.com, on the county’s Facebook and Twitter pages and on the county’s Vimeo page. The ceremony will also be televised beginning at 1 p.m. on TV Gwinnett, the county’s local government access cable channel. It also will run periodically on the channel over the coming weeks and be available on-demand at TVgwinnett.com.
- Dunwoody virtual ceremony: According to the city's website, Mayor Lynn Deutsch will lead the virtual ceremony starting at 10 a.m., and it will be available on the city's Facebook, Instagram and the City of Dunwoody's YouTube Channel.
- Rotary Club of Alpharetta virtual tribute: The Rotary Club will be hosting the tribute starting at 9 a.m. and it will be available on the city government's YouTube page. The keynote speaker will be former Army Ranger Grant McGarry of the 75th Ranger Regiment.
- Woodstock virtual ceremony: According to the city's website, a number of commemorations will be held, including American Legion Post 316 and Marine Corps League Woodstock Detachment #1311 performing various ceremonies and readings. It will begin at 10 a.m. and can be seen on the city's YouTube channel.