JOHNS CREEK, Ga. — Officials say several people had to go to the hospital after falling ill at a north metro Atlanta gym pool.

It happened at the Lifetime Fitness off Johns Creek Parkway.

According to the Johns Creek Fire Marshal Chad McGibbony, an automated system that mixes Chlorine and muriatic acid used to treat the outdoor pool malfunctioned, causing a reaction.

The intense chemicals caused several people to get sick with burning eyes, vomiting and difficulty breathing.

Officials said there were roughly 30 children between the ages of 10 and 12 present at the pool for a swim meet. Eight children had to be taken to the hospital.

McGibbony said the chemicals mostly affected people outside the pool, but fire crews pulled everybody out of the facility and closed it down because it was causing difficulty in breathing.

PHOTOS | Lifetime Fitness pool shut down after children sickened