ATLANTA — The Atlanta Committee for Progress, a partnership of Atlanta's top business, civic and academic leaders, chaired by Delta CEO Ed Bastian, pledged on Monday to "do our part," to build a more just, inclusive world.
“We know that words aren’t enough. Concrete actions and solutions are essential to reverse the long history of systemic racism and injustice that is a stain on our great nation,” read the statement, signed by Bastian - ACP’s 2020 Chairman - and dozens of other Atlanta community leaders.
Each has had a stake in the growth and stability of metro Atlanta -- some of them for many years.
Other metro Atlanta business leaders joining Bastian in signing the declaration are well-known local names that include Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, Chick-fil-A Chairman and CEO Dan Cathy, Georgia State University President Dr. Mark P. Becker, Georgia Tech's President Dr. Angel Cabrera, NCR President and CEO Mike Hayford, Norfolk Southern Chairman Jim Squires among many others.
The statement, in full, reads:
The senseless and horrific events of the past several weeks have left the people of our community reeling with anguish, fear, frustration and justified anger. Our hearts ache for the pain being felt by our neighbors, friends, families and colleagues.
As business leaders in Atlanta, with its deep and rich legacy of peaceful protest, we know too well the injustice that continues to plague our community from racism, discrimination and violence. Our shared history compels us to work together to create a better future for everyone.
Our city’s leaders have been models for the nation with their compassion and empathy during the past several days. We thank Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, the City of Atlanta staff, the Atlanta Police and Fire Rescue Departments for their thoughtful, human approach to the unrest in our community. We are committed to working with them and other civic leaders to move forward to a more inclusive and just society.
We know that words aren’t enough. Concrete actions and solutions are essential to reverse the long history of systemic racism and injustice that is a stain on our great nation.
Collectively and individually, we believe in an inclusive world. We believe everyone’s voice should be heard. We believe in freedom of expression. And we stand ready to help build a better future for all.
As business leaders with deep ties to Atlanta, we pledge to do our part.
- Claire Lewis Arnold, CEO, Leapfrog Services, Inc
- Ed Bastian CEO, Delta Air Lines, Inc. & ACP 2020 Chair
- Dr. Mark P. Becker President, Georgia State University
- Mark Begor CEO, Equifax
- Arthur M. Blank Owner, Atlanta Falcons
- Raphael Bostic, President & CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
- W. Paul Bowers Chairman, President & CEO, Georgia Power
- Matt Bronfman CEO, Jamestown, L.P.
- Dr. Mary Schmidt Campbell President, Spelman College
- Dan Cathy Chairman & CEO, Chick-fil-A, Inc.
- Dr. Ångel Cabrera President, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Colin Connolly, President & CEO, Cousins Properties, Inc.
- Martin L. Flanagan President & CEO, Invesco
- Mike Hayford, President & CEO, NCR
- Doug Hertz, Chairman & CEO, United Distributors
- James Hannan, Executive Vice President & CEO of Enterprises, Koch Industries
- Venessa Harrison, President, AT&T Georgia
- John Haupert, President & CEO, Grady Health System
- Doug Hertz, President & CEO, United Distributors
- Donna Hyland, President & CEO, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
- Jenna Kelly, President, Georgia Division, Truist Financial
- Paul Judge, Chairman, Pindrop
- Elie Maalouf,CEO, IHG, The Americas
- Ryan Marshall, President & CEO, PulteGroup, Inc.
- Penelope McPhee, President, The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation
- Craig Menear, Chairman, President & CEO, The Home Depot
- James Quincey, President & CEO, The Coca-Cola Company
- Tony Ressler, Owner, Atlanta Hawks
- Michael Russell, CEO, H.J. Russell & Company
- Jeff Sloan, CEO, Global Payments
- Nicholas Speeks, President & CEO, Mercedes-Benz USA
- Jim Squires, Chairman, President & CEO, Norfolk Southern
- Claire E. Sterk, President, Emory University
- Wendy Stewart, Atlanta Market President, Bank of America
- Russell Stokes, President & CEO, GE Power
- Alex Taylor, President & CEO, Cox Enterprises, Inc.
- Scott Taylor, President & CEO, Carter
- Dr. David A. Thomas, President, Morehouse College
- Carol Tomé, CEO, UPS
- Steve Voorhees, CEO, WestRock
MORE HEADLINES |