EATONTON, Ga. — A Putnam County boy is recovering in the hospital Friday after being badly burned while playing with fireworks in his bedroom.
Eatonton Fire Chief Eugene Hubert says the call for the fire came in from the 100-block of Imperial Mill Road around 7:30 p.m. Thursday.
He says the 10-year-old boy’s mother told investigators that she was out in the yard and thought she had stored the fireworks away in a place where her children wouldn’t find them.
The boy was apparently playing with a lighter and fireworks in his bed, which is where the fire began.
He was airlifted to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta and he is expected to make a full recovery in 7-14 days.
The boy’s mother told Hubert Friday afternoon that some of the burns were so severe that they’ll require skin grafts. They are scheduled for Monday.
Hubert adds that the mother was renting the home and had no renter’s insurance, but the property owner did have insurance for the structure.
No charges are expected and a final report on the fire is not yet complete.
WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE READING NOW