The DeKalb Police Department is thanking the community for supporting them while they've gone through a heartbreaking ordeal - losing Officer Edgar Flores and hoping K9 Indi would make a full recovery.

Flores was killed on December 13 after conducting a traffic stop on Candler Road. Police said the driver took off on foot. Other officers, including K9 Indi, came to the area to search for the gunman - that's when the police dog was shot. 

The bullet hit him right in the head above the right ear. DeKalb Police said the bullet exited through Indi's right eye.

His handler, Officer Norman, rushed Indi to the hospital. He spent a few days at BluePearl Veterinary in Sandy Springs. Indi was released on Saturday.

The gunshot wound cost the K9 his right eye. He's otherwise expected to make a full recovery, the department said. 

Many people have asked, what's next for Indi? The police department gave an update on its Instagram page about the next steps.

"Indi will continue his recovery at home with the major concern being protecting his wounds from infection," the post said. "The bigger concern will be keeping Indi from being the very active police canine he seems ready to get back to being until he fully heals."

Once Indi is healed, DeKalb Police said they will then figure out what to do next.

"Indi’s return to service will ultimately be his decision," the post said. "The main concern of the DeKalb Police Department is that Indi recover fully from his injuries.  Once the staff at Blue Pearl give him the okay, Indi will be evaluated to see if a return to police work is safe enough for him to do and in everyone’s best interest."

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Indi has five years of service.

RELATED: K9 shot in face released from hospital

"Indi has certainly earned his retirement and if police work is no longer an option he will be retired to his handler, so he may live out the remainder of his life as a family member in their home."

The DeKalb Police Department is grateful for the staff at the animal hospital and for all of the other agencies who helped them get Indi to BluePearl. As Indi's handler rushed to get him there, Officer Larsen was faced with rush hour traffic. 

RELATED: Police K9 injured in shooting expected to lose eye

"As Officer Larsen approached the area of Abernathy Rd, our friends in the Sandy Springs Police Department heard we were coming and helped immeasurably by holding traffic at the intersections and clearing the roadways so we could get Indi the urgent care he needed," the department said in a news release. 

That same night officers from other departments joined them at the hospital and held a vigil, refusing to leave their side. 

"We have received countless inquiries and well wishes for Indi," the news release said. " We want to share this update and express our heartfelt thanks for your prayers and concern."

As Indi left the hospital, he was greeted by law enforcement from other agencies who came out to show their support. His release was met by cheers from everyone around.