The Academy Awards may not have a host for the first time in 30 years, according to a report by Variety. The news comes after actor and comedian Kevin Hart confirmed Wednesday he would not return to the role.
The report said producers will use A-list stars to introduce segments rather than using a single host and an opening monologue. They have just over six weeks to get ready for the Feb. 24 ceremony.
The last time the Oscars went without a host was 1989.
Hart was named host last month but stepped down two days later after he came under fire for previous homophobic comments that resurfaced. He initially resisted apologizing, saying he had already done so in the past. Earlier this week on his Sirius XM show "Straight from the Hart," he again apologized to the LGBTQ community.
Daytime host Ellen DeGeneres, who is gay, told Hart last week that she asked the Oscars to take him back and that the show wanted him back.
Hart announced Wednesday he would not host, saying there was not enough time to get ready. He also told "Good Morning America" he's not giving any more explanations. Hart said, "I'm just done."
The Associated Press contributed