ATLANTA - Georgia elects a new governor for the first time in eight years, as well as its first new lieutenant governor in more than a decade, as qualifying begins Monday in several nationally watched Peach State elections.
Four Republicans are seeking the governor’s mansion, with Gov. Nathan Deal prohibited from seeking a third term. Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle is the fundraising leader. Also announced are Secretary of State Brian Kemp, state Sen. Michael Williams and former state senator Hunter Hill.
Two former state representatives, Stacey Abrams and Stacey Evans, are running for governor on the Democratic side. Abrams would become the nation's first African-American female governor.
Cagle has made national headlines over the last couple of weeks after he criticized Delta Air Lines for ending its discount for NRA members.
In the lieutenant governor’s race, state Sen. David Shafer has announced on the GOP side, along with former state Rep. Geoff Duncan and former state Sen. Rick Jeffares. Democrat Triana Arnold James is also running.
Some well-known Democrats and Republicans are seeking Kemp’s secretary of state position, including former U.S. Rep. John Barrow and former state lawmaker Dee Dawkins-Haigler on the Democratic side. GOP candidates including state Sen. Josh McKoon; state Reps. Brad Raffensperger and Buzz Brockway; and Alpharetta Mayor David Belle Isle.
In the 6th congressional district, incumbent Karen Handel has drawn at least two Democratic challengers, Bobby Kaple and Kevin Abel. Handel defeated Democrat Jon Ossoff in a special election last year that became the nation's most expensive congressional election in history.
MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM 11ALIVE.COM
- VP Mike Pence to headline major Georgia GOP fundraiser
- Cagle broke the law when he threatened Delta, Democratic candidate says
- Pro-gun lawmakers pass tax reform plan without huge break for Delta
- Eyes on Delta and the NRA: Who gave the most $$$ to our politicians?
- NRA stance imperils Georgia fuel tax break for Delta
- Delta, United end discount programs for NRA members
- NRA hits back at United Airlines, Delta, other companies for cutting ties
- Trump bucks NRA, backs raising age for buying assault rifles
- 'I will kill' legislation that benefits Delta after NRA split
- Two Staceys are running for Georgia's governor
- Ex-Navy SEAL enters Georgia governor's race
- Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle enters race for Georgia governor
- Governor 2018: Williams endorsed by Trump advisor
- Ga. House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams joins governor's race