Jewel Eden arrived at a park in Lawrenceville. Getting out of the passenger seat of her friend's car, she winced in pain as she hobbled on an old pair of crutches to a park bench. 

"There was a point where I was thinking, 'You know what? This might be it'," said Eden, sitting in on a park bench next to her crutches. "I said my prayers and made peace with my Maker."

Eden was remembering the days she spent in the hospital with broken ribs, a broken pelvis, broken teeth and fractures - injuries she suffered after being hit by a flying car. 

On Oct. 8, a car flew off the road traveling at a dangerously high speed into an Exxon parking lot at the intersection of Lawrenceville Highway and Johnson Road. Eden just finished buying a few things inside on her way to work.

"I came out of the door and my car was parked in the first available parking spot that was there," Eden said. "I saw a car run a red light and I started to scream to bring people's attention to it."

Eden tried to run away from the fast-approaching car. She almost made it, but the car hit a poll, changed directions and was once again headed for her.

"I just heard BOOM! It hit my car from behind, climbed on top of my car, squished my car before it hit me. It flung my into the air like a rag doll. I hit a vehicle that was parked next to mine and the window was open, so it impaled me here," Eden said, pointing to a fresh scar underneath her neck. 

It's hard to imagine surviving something like that. In fact, the driver didn't survive. Fifty-five-year-old Oluyinka Akinseinde died on the scene. Investigators said it appeared Akinseinde lost control of the car due to something medical related. It's unclear if he fell asleep, had a heart attack or stroke. 

Eden spent weeks in the hospital. Her lungs collapsed and filled with fluid. She said she didn't think she would make it out at one point and felt even the doctors weren't optimistic about her recovery. 

Eden's Go Fund Me

However, she was released a little over a month after the accident. She faces a long recovery and a slew of medical bills - and really, bills in general. Eden was working two jobs prior to the accident and is now unable to work until the new year. 

"They told me do not work for three months. Here I am walking because I can't help it," Eden said. "It is hard. If I could, if it wasn't for the pain, I would be back at work right now. Because my bills are piling up. Rent is there, I am unable to pay for it. I can't pay for it. It is very hard right now."

Unable to afford a wheelchair or crutches, her landlord gave her a pair of hand-me-down crutches to walk on. Which she's thankful for in addition to being thankful for her life. But, with no family around and the lack of medical insurance, she's wondering how she will be able to financially survive after physically surviving a traumatic experience. 

"You don't know when this is going to happen to you. You're looking at someone and thinking, that's not my concern, but you could be in that position as well," she said. "For the most part, people don't choose the certain things that happen to them."

After grabbing her crutches, Eden slowly made her way back to her friend's car, worried about the next few months. Even though she's uncertain about her future, she found a few moments to smile and laugh, knowing at the very least, she is alive to tell her story. 

"It could have been worse in the sense," she said. "What if I woke up in the ICU and I was paralyzed from the neck down forever. So, I always try to look at things and think it could have been worse."

A Go Fund Me has been set up to help Eden with medical bills.