If you're going to a friend's barbecue in Atlanta on July 4th, you may have to go a different way. Due to the AJC Peachtree Road Race, there will be several roads closed early in the day to keep runners safe.
The race stretches 6.2 miles long, begins at 3 a.m. and ends at 12:00 p.m. Many roads will begin closing at 3 a.m. and other are expected to close later in the morning.
Atlanta Police said, "We want everyone to have a safe and happy time celebrating the festivities. Our officers will be highly visible among the crowds and stand ready to protect."
Here's a list of when the roads are shutting down to make things easier for those traveling on Independence Day.
Thursday, July 4 at 3:00 a.m.
- Peachtree Road between Lenox Road around Lenox Pkwy
- 10th Street will close from Myrtle to Charles Allen on July 4 at 3:00 a.m.
Thursday, July 4 at 4:30 a.m.
- Peachtree Road from Lenox Road to Peachtree Dunwoody Road
- Around Lenox Road from Peachtree Road to Lenox Road
- Lenox Road from Peachtree Road to Ferncliff Road
- Buckhead Loop from Peachtree Road to GA 400
- Phipps Boulevard from Buckhead Loop to Wieuca Road
- Wieuca Road from Old Ivy Road to Roxboro Road
- Roxboro Road from Kingsboro Road to Peachtree Dunwoody Road
- Pritchard Road from Roxboro Road to Oak Valley Road
- Lakeside Road from Pritchard Road to Kingsboro Road
- Kingsboro Road from Roxboro Road to Lenox Road
- Oak Valley Road from Peachtree Road to E. Paces Ferry Road
Thursday, July 4 at 5:30 a.m.
- The entire course will close at 5:30 a.m.
- Only official vehicle traffic will be permitted along the course.
- City of Atlanta Police officers and volunteers will help people trying to cross the street before the race but once the main start occurs at 7 a.m., this will be difficult.
Thursday, July 4 at 6 a.m.
- Monroe Drive will close between Virginia Avenue and Kanuga Street at 6:00 a.m. on July 4 and will remain closed until noon.
Thursday, July 4 at 8 a.m.
- Peachtree Place will be closed from Peachtree Street to West Peachtree Street at 8:00 a.m. on July 4 and remain closed until noon.
Tuesday, July 2 – Thursday, July 4
- 10th Street from Charles Allen to Monroe Dr.
- Closed - July 2 ‐ 9:30 a.m. ‐ 3:00 p.m.
- Re‐opens - July 2 ‐ 3:00 p.m. ‐ 7:00 p.m.
- Closed July 2 ‐ 7:00 p.m. ‐ July 4 ‐ 3:00 p.m.
- Re-opens - July 4 3:00 p.m.
MORE AJC PEACHTREE ROAD RACE