FAIRBURN, Ga. -- A freshman football player at Creekside High School has died after falling ill during conditioning drills on Monday, a Fulton County Schools spokesperson confirmed to 11Alive.

The player was identified by the Fulton County medical examiners as 15-year-old Kamari McGowan of Fairburn.

McGowan was conditioning for football between 5:30 and 6 p.m. when a coach noticed he looked pale. The coach pulled him off the field, and the paramedics were called.

McGowan was taken to a local hospital where he later died. A cause of death has not been released.

Classmates of McGowan and parents of teens at the school told 11Alive's Ron Jones they are stunned by the news.

"It's just very tragic and it's very scary," one parent said. "That will be very hard to deal with."

"I pray for the family. It's just very tragic," another said.

The GHSA confirmed to 11Alive that they had been made aware of the incident. Acting Director Gary Phillips was told Tuesday morning by Fulton County Schools.

GHSA will begin its investigation on Wednesday morning. There is no timetable for how long the investigation could last. There is no word if football activities will be suspended at Creekside while the investigation ensues.

The typical response by the GHSA is to investigate the conditions of the incident, whether or not it was an official school activity, and if the practice and conditioning guidelines were followed, such as the bylaws regarding practicing in heat and humidity.

It was an unseasonably warm day on Monday. At Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, which is roughly 20 miles away from Creekside, temperatures reached 87 degrees. All protective equipment cannot be worn in 87-89 degree weather during conditioning drills, according to the bylaws.

None of the players were wearing pads, according to one of the football players on the team.

Creekside Athletics did not immediately respond to request for comment. The school district said they will make counselors available for students who need help grieving.