ATLANTA — In challenging times, sports have always brought the city together and unity is needed now more than ever. The Atlanta Sports Council and 11Alive can’t think of a better way to re-energize the sports community and recognize the hard work of the athletes, teams and icons who continue to shape Atlanta’s sports history.
Following a 7-day voting period that ended on July 17, Westlake High School girls basketball player Raven "Hollywood" Johnson was named the Outstanding Team11 High School Athlete.
The announcement was first made on-air during 11Alive News and a full presentation of the awards will be held Aug. 15 during a one-hour special.
Johnson received more votes than Arik Gilbert (Marietta Football), Jasmine Jones (GAC Track & Field), Walker Kessler (Woodward Baksetball) and Gavin Kane (Cambridge Wrestling)
See full story below:
Raven "Hollywood" Johnson is used to winning.
The Westlake High School rising senior is a three-time state champion with the basketball team, and she's going for a four-peat this winter.
"There's not many girls that can say they have a four-peat in Georgia," Johnson said. "That's one of the things I want to do."
This year's winner of the Outstanding Team11 High School Athlete, part of the Atlanta Sports Awards, also has goals bigger than a state title.
The Lions were scheduled to go to nationals this winter, but were unable to travel there because of the COVID-19 outbreak. Johnson is hoping her squad can make it back there again next year.
"My goal is to get invited to nationals again and win that, for my coach, leave a good mark for her," Johnson said.
Johnson is a University of South Carolina commit where winning is just as much a part of the culture as it is at Westlake.
"The culture, definitely the culture. The fan base. Definitely Dawn Staley. Her being a point coach, me being a point guard, I feel like she can take my game to the next level. Let it grow. Definitely the girls that are there, we have a chance at winning a national championship."
That's one way to stick to a winning mentality.
- Week of July 27: Lifetime Achievement Award announcement
- August 3: Outstanding Coach presented by The Home Depot
- August 4: Outstanding College Athlete
- August 5: Outstanding Esports Competitor
- August 6: Unsung Hero Award presented by the Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation
- August 7: Positive Athlete presented by Southern Company
- August 10: Lifetime Achievement Award presented by Coca-Cola
- August 11: Top Sports Moment presented by Mercedes-Benz
- August 12: Outstanding Professional Athlete presented by Truist
- August 13: Outstanding Sports Team
- August 14: Team 11 High School Athlete (High School category determined by 11 Alive)
- August 15: One-hour special airs on 11 Alive at 7 p.m.
- August 16: One-hour special re-airs on 11 Alive at 11 a.m. and at 8 p.m. on WATL