NEW ORLEANS — The focus on tropical systems now shift to Laura which became a hurricane early Tuesday shortly after moving over the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Laura is expected to intensify on a path to hit the U.S. Coastline late Wednesday or early Thursday as a major Category 3 hurricane capable of "devastating" damage.
Sandbags will be available for residents with proper IDs. Anybody looking to fill sandbags is encouraged to bring their own shovel.
St. Charles Parish
Sand and sandbags will be made available Saturday, Aug. 22 for St. Charles Parish residents with valid ID.
- East Bank Bridge Park
- West Bank Bridge Park
- Hackberry Street southwest of the pump station between Gassen Street and Luling Estates Drive
- Bamboo Street and Plantation Road
- Across from 198 Keller Street
- King Street behind the school
- End of River Park Drive
- School House Road near railroad tracks
- Boutte Estates at the curve
- Willowdale Boulevard and East Heather next to the levee
- Rex Street between Davis Drive and Evelyn Drive east of Pump Station Road
- Sugarhouse Road and Angus Drive
- Red Church Subdivision
- Ormond Fire House on Ormond Boulevard
- Twin Bridge Road and Down the Bayou Road
- LA 631 (Old Spanish Trail) behind the church
- LA 306 at Badeaux Lane East
- Grand Bayou Road and Sunshine Drive
- Fourth Street
- Bar None Subdivision
- Charles Towne Subdivision
- Fairfield Subdivision
- I-310 Service Road
- Oakland Subdivision
- Preston Hollow and River Road
- River View
- Dianne Place
- Montz Recreation Park
- New Sarpy Recreation Park
- Norco Elementary School at the Spillway Levee
- Norco Fire Station
- Norco Adult Learning Center on 2nd Street and Apple
- George Cousins Road and West Heather Street
- Valencia Street and Primrose Drive
St. Tammany Parish
St. Tammany Parish Government announces the opening of six self-service sandbag locations beginning Sunday, August 23, 2020. All locations will have sand and bags provided. Residents are asked to bring their own shovels in case all shovels provided are in use. In addition, residents are asked to limit the number of sandbags to 15 per vehicle. The locations will be open from dawn to dusk.
- St. Tammany Parish Government- Building: 21410 Koop Dr., Mandeville, La.
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works- Airport Road Barn: 34583 Grantham College Rd, Slidell, La.
- The Old Levee District Site: 61134 Military Road (Hwy 190) Slidell, La.
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works- Fritchie Barn: 63119 Highway 1090 in Pearl River, La.
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works Barn- Keller Barn: 63131 Fish Hatchery Road, Lacombe, La.
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works Barn- Covington Barn: 1305 N. Florida Street, Covington, La.
No information on sandbags is available yet for this parish.
•Lafourche Fire District #3 Central Station: 17462 West Main, Galliano
•Oak Ridge Community Park: Golden Meadow
•Lockport Field Office: 6236 Hwy 308, Lockport
•Raceland AG Grounds parking lot: Texas Street
•Thibodaux Field Office: 2565 Veterans Blvd.
•Bayou Blue Recreation Grounds: Hwy 316 South of Hwy 182
•Choctaw Field Office: 122 Choctaw Barn Road
•Bayou Bouef Bridge: Hwy 307
•Chackbay Fair Grounds: Hwy 304
There will be four distribution sites starting Tuesday, Aug. 25. at 8 a.m. Distribution will go until noon and will be limited to four bags per person.
- Algiers: Arthur Monday Center, 1111 Newton Street
- Central City: Dryades YMCA, 2220 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.
- Gentilly: St. Raymond Church, 2916 Paris Ave
- New Orleans East: Saints Maria Goretti Church, 7300 Crowder Blvd.
Starting Sunday, August 23 from 12 PM parish-wide sandbag locations will be open. See below for sand bag locations. Residents should bring their own shovels and only take what they need.
Residents can fill their sandbags at the following locations:
- Plaquemines Parish Government Complex, PROWM Building (333 F. Edward Hebert Blvd, Belle Chasse, LA 70037)
- Port Sulphur YMCA, 278 Civic Dr, Port Sulphur, LA 70083
- Buras YMCA, 36342 Hwy 11, Buras, LA 70041
- Former location of the Boothville-Venice Community Center, 112 Gille Ln, Boothville, 70041
- Davant Community Center, 15577 Hwy 15, Braithwaite, LA 70040
- Braithwaite Auditorium, 1253 LA-39, Braithwaite, LA 70040
St. Bernard Parish
Residents can fill their sandbags at the following 10 locations Aug. 22 - Aug. 24, 6:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Norman’s Boxing Gym – 801 Community St., Arabi, La.
- St. Bernard Port – 100 Port Blvd., Chalmette, La.
- OTB – 4242 E. Judge Perez Dr., Meraux, La.
- Corner of Volpe Dr. and Florida Ave. 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. only
- Val Riess Complex – 1101 Magistrate St., Chalmette, La.
- Government Complex – 8201 W. Judge Perez Dr., Chalmette, La.
- Verret Fire Station #10 – 3901 Bayou Rd., St. Bernard, La.
- Patricia Park – 1809 Karl Dr., Arabi, La.
- Kenilworth Park – 2241 Bobolink Dr., St. Bernard, La.
- Historic Courthouse – 1201 Bayou Rd., St. Bernard, La.
- Vista Park – Buccaneer Villa North – 8540 Victory Dr., Chalmette, La.
St. James Parish
No information on sandbags is available yet for this parish.
St. John Parish
Sandbag locations will operate on Saturday, August 22, 2020, from noon to 7:00 p.m. and on Sunday, August 23, 2020, from 8:00 am to 7:00 p.m.
Please bring a shovel.
- St. John Community Center - 2900 Hwy 51 - LaPlace
- Railroad Avenue Fire Station (near Riverside Academy) - Reserve
- Ezekiel Jackson Park - Garyville
- Juan Anthony Joseph Memorial Park - Edgard
- Wallace Fire Station
- Pleasure Bend Fire Station
Pre-filled sandbags for elderly and disabled:
(Limit 10 pre-filled)
- 425 Captain G. Bourgeois, LaPlace
Tangipahoa Parish President Robby Miller said self-serve sandbag stations will be set up at the main fire station in each of the following communities:
- Loranger –
- Husser –
- Wilmer –
- Kentwood –
- In the 8th Ward, sandbag stations will be set up at the fire station on LA 445 and at the new station on LA 22 east in Bedico.
- In Ponchatoula, the fire stations on LA 22 east and west of the city limits will have self-serve sandbag stations, as will the Hammond Baptist Fire Station.
Miller said residents will need to bring their own shovel to fill the sandbags at the self-serve sites.
Sand and sandbags available in the following locations beginning 7:00 AM on Saturday, 08/22/2020. Please bring your own shovel if you plan to fill sandbags.
- Adult Softball Complex, 9544 East Main Street (Houma)
- Bobtown Vounteer Fire Station, 4717 Grand Caillou Road (Houma)
- Mechanicville Gym, 2814 Senator Street (Houma)
- Upper Dularge Fire Station, 1767 Bayou Dularge Road (Houma)
- Bayou Black Fire Station, 2820 Savanne Road (Houma)
- Village East Fire Station, 100 Development Street (Houma)
- Cannata's West, 6307 West Park Avenue (Houma)
- Montegut Fire Station, 1105 Highway 55 (Montegut)
- St. Ann Church, 4355 Highway 24 (Bourg)
- Ward 7, 5006 Highway 56 (Chauvin)
- Donner Community Center, 361 Azalea Drive (Donner)
- Devon Keller Memorial Center, 5575 Bayou Black Road (Gibson)
- Public Works North Campus, 206 Government Street (Gray)
- Gibson East Fire Station, 5218 North Bayou Black Drive (Gibson)
- West Terrebonne Fire Station, 110 Merry Moss Street (Gibson)
- Knights of Columbus Hall, 1558 Highway 655 (Pointe-aux-Chenes)
- Civic Center, 346 Civic Center Blvd (Houma)
- Beginning, Sunday, August 23, 2020, at 8:00 a.m.
- City of Bogalusa Residents (limit 10/person) -Austin St @ Bauer St -Main St. ballpark -Ave B Sports Complex -Sand and bags are available at each location. Please bring your own shovel.
- Beginning Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
- For All Residents Located Outside City Limits
- WPFD #7, 17380 Bill Booty Rd., Bogalusa, LA -Sand and bags are available. Please bring your own shovel.
- Public Works Location #3, 801 Pearl St., Franklinton, LA
- Public Works Location #2, Yacc Rd., Bogalusa, LA (behind Washington Parish Animal Shelter)
- For All Residents Located Varnado & Angie
- Varnado Town Hall, 63097 Main St, Varnado, LA
- Sand and Bags are available. Bring your own shovel. Pre-filled bags will be available for those unable to fill their own.
- Beginning Monday, August 24, 2020, at 8:00 a.m.
- Town of Franklinton Residents (limit 10/vehicle) -Pre-filled bags are available. -1108 Lenora St., Franklinton, LA
Hancock County, Miss.
The Hancock County Emergency Management Agency will have self-serve sand and sandbags at the following locations on August 22, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. Officials urge residents to bring their own shovels. If you need assistance with getting the sand-bags, please contact the Hancock County Emergency Management Agency at 228-255-0942 or Hancock County Central Dispatch at 228-255-9191.
- Hancock County Horse Arena: 4184 Kiln/DeLisle Rd
- Old Hancock County Complex: 3068 Longfellow Dr
- Lakeshore community center: 6440 Lower Bay Rd
- Bayside Fire Department, 6215 W Hinds St
- West Hancock Fire Department: 16006 Washington St
- Diamondhead City Hall, 5000 Diamondhead Cr