When 26-year-old Khaliah Shaw looks at pictures of herself from three years ago, she doesn’t recognize that person from before.
“I didn’t have to have people staring at me or wondering why I look different,” she said. “Three years ago, my life changed forever.”
In 2014, Shaw went to a doctor’s office because she felt depressed. She received a prescription for lamotrigine. A pending lawsuit claims Shaw received the wrong dosage, and her pharmacy didn’t catch it.
She was diagnosed with Stevens Johnson Syndrome, a rare disorder often created due to a medication error or incorrect dosage.
“It essentially causes your body to burn from the inside out and you pretty much just melt,” said Shaw.
The syndrome has left Shaw’s previously flawless skin burned and scarred. She is slowing losing her vision. Her sweat glands are gone, and her finger nails will never grow back
“This did not have to happen. This was not just some sort of fluke in my opinion. This happened as a directly result of somebody’s error,” said Shaw.