Need to keep the kids occupied during long hours of holiday travel?
'Toy Insider Mom' Laurie Schacht shared the hottest toy trends with Cara of 'Atlanta Tech Edge'.
Tweet us your favorite on her list and watch 'Atlanta Tech Edge' Sunday mornings at 11:30 on 11Alive and streaming.
- Communicate on the go with Kidibuzz. Kids can send texts, voice messages, photos, drawings and animated stickers over Wi-Fi to a parent-approved list of contacts such as family and friends.
- This kid-tough messenger features bumpers and a shatter-resistant screen, so it's great for on-the-go fun. The device is preloaded with more than 40 learning games that cover a variety of subjects including math, spelling, science, problem solving and music, and a kid-safe web browser with parental controls.
- With its Android-based operating system, this messenger is compatible with popular Android apps and games that parents can choose to download and make available to their children.
- Age: 4+
- MSRP: $99.99
- Available: Amazon, Target, Toys “R” Us, Walmart
LeapFrog Epic Academy Edition (LeapFrog)
- LeapFrog Epic Academy Edition is packed with kid-appropriate, on-board learning content, including 20 learning games that explore a range of subjects and skills and a free trial of LeapFrog Academy.
- Kid-safe right out of the box, the LeapSearch web browser lets kids safely surf the Internet and parental controls allow parents to add Android apps as their kids advance.
- Ages: 3-9
- MSRP: $119
- Available: Toys “R” Us, Amazon, Walmart, Target
eKids Headphones (eKids)
- Kids can take these headphones wherever they go to enjoy listening to crisp quality sound from the makers of eKids. Sleek design, adjustable headband, and padded foam ear cushion offer style and comfort. Has a built-in volume limiter to protect hearing.
- Connect to any audio device, also has an AUX jack and includes a 3.5mm detachable audio cable. These headphones are a perfect purchase for trips, plane rides, bus rides, or just chilling out.
- Available in a variety of licenses, including Disney, Marvel, Pokemon, Star Wars, Shopkins, Ninja Turtles, and more!
- Age: 3+
- MSRP: $19.99 - $39.99
- Available: Amazon, Best Buy, eKids.com, Target, Toys R Us, Walmart
Merge Cube (Merge VR)
- The Merge Cube experience can be upgraded by selecting the optional virtual reality mode and sliding a smartphone into virtual reality goggles to completely immerse yourself in holographic worlds.
- Ages: 10+
- MSRP: $14.99 ($59.99 for headset)
- Available: Walmart
Kurio Watch 2.0 (KD Interactive)
- The next generation of The Ultimate Smartwatch Built for Kids is here – Kurio Watch 2.0+! Now comes with two (2) interchangeable bands to match your style, including a bonus band that changes color right on your wrist!
- The front-facing camera is perfect for selfies and recording videos—make a silly face or add to the fun with photo filters & frames, then customize the watch face with your photo!
- Play the included single and two-player games on one watch, or connect two watches together via Bluetooth, plus motion-sensitive games that get kids moving!
- Message friends via Bluetooth to share texts, emojis, selfies, doodles and voice recordings with other Kurio Watches & Android devices. Plus, everything you need in a smartwatch – activity tracker, music player, alarm/stopwatch, calculator, calendar and so much more.
- Connect to a parent’s smartphone via Bluetooth as a hands-free way to make and take calls. With scratch resistant and splash proof protection, plus an “In Case of an Emergency” (I.C.E.) app where parents can enter their child's medical and contact information. Rechargeable battery.
- Ages 6+.
- MSRP: $59.99.
- Available at Toys ‘R’ Us.
Nintendo 2DS XL (Nintendo)
- 82% larger XL screens compared to the Nintendo 2S system.
- Lightweight, yet powerful: A fast processor offers short loading times, so you can start playing in a snap. And it's all in a lightweight, play-anywhere package.
- Built-in amiibo Support: Tap an amiibo figure to the near-field communication (NFC) reader on the lower screen to enjoy amiibo features in compatible games.
- So many games to play: You can play all Nintendo 3DS, New Nintendo 3DS, and most Nintendo DS games in 2D on this system.
- More controls: The C Stick brings enhanced controls (like intuitive camera control) to compatible games, while ZL and ZR buttons give you plenty of options.
- Age: 8+
- MSRP: $149.99
- Available: Amazon, Best Buy, PC Richard, Target, Toys R Us, Walmart
- SoundMoovz is a motion-activated electronic device that plays cool music and special effect sounds as users move.
- Kids can experience the excitement by moving, dancing, and creating unique musical beats
- The device uses Bluetooth technology, just simply power on for pairing, download the free app, choose over 400 sounds, and start the fun.
- The product comes with two special bands that users wear to enable the device.
- Layer your beat onto a song. There are multiple sound modes including Robot, Karate, Instrumental, and Musical
- Ages: 8+
- MSRP: $69.99
- Available: Amazon, Target, Toys “R” Us, Walmart, Best Buy
Luvabella/Luvabeau (Spin Master Ltd.)
- Luvabella is a loveable, life-like baby doll that comes in a variety of girl and boy doll options in different ethnicities.
- Children can care, nurture and play with Luvabella and Luvabeau using the doll’s interactive accessories and pacifier.
- From feeding time with her spoon, play time with her Lamby, to nap time with her bottle, Luvabella will respond with natural reactions. Kids can watch her laugh, blink, purse her lips, and more.
- Feed her with her spoon and she’ll begin to chew and learn new food words.
- Ages: 3+
- MSRP: $99.99
- Available: Amazon, Target, Toys “R” Us, Walmart'
Lightseekers Starter Kit (TOMY International)
- Lightseekers is an action-adventure role playing game built for mobile devices that fuses together fantasy and reality, integrating video games and smart action figures with the latest in artificial intelligence, augmented reality, interactive trading cards and more.
- The mini-computer, known as the FusionCore, is embedded within each action figure and is the “brains” behind the smart connected toys.
- Players can take their experience to another level, adding physical accessories to their figures and scanning trading cards with the Lightseekers game app to customize their gameplay.
- Add smart action figures with interchangeable weapons you can level-up.
- Scan augmented reality trading cards that give you special in-game abilities.
- Connect motion-controlled flight packs that turn your figure into a game controller.
- Ages: 8+
- MSRP: $69.99
- Available: Toys “R” Us