Don't be caught in your vehicle unprepared for a winter storm.
According to AAA, you should pack:
- Mobile phone with emergency numbers (fully charged battery with charger)
- Drinking water
- First aid kit
- A bag of abrasive material (sand, salt, cat litter)
- Snow shovel and ice scraper
- Blankets and extra warm clothing
- Flashlight with extra battery
- Jumper cables
- Basic tool kit
- Critical medication
Ready.gov suggests these additional items:
- tow chain or rope
- road salt and sand
- emergency flares
- fluorescent distress flag
Also be sure to have at least 3/4 full tank of gasoline.
Residents are also reminded to park their vehicles away from trees. Even after the storm is over, trees can uproot and fall over.
If a tree is over a bedroom, have those people sleep in a room out of potential harm's way
PHOTOS | SnowJam 2014
PHOTOS | Snow and ice 2015
WINTER WEATHER DRIVING TIPS | Click here to tips to stay safe
WEATHER FORECAST | Check the latest weather forecast